Breast cancer is a disease that seems to touch everybody in some way; for those who are not themselves stricken, there are friends, family members and co-workers who have struggled with it. Breast cancer is a killer, and much work needs to be done to find a cure.
There are many organizations dedicated to supporting those who have to deal with breast cancer and to supporting the research needed to find a cure. You may be interested in participating in such efforts; if you are, you can find those organizations online. Choose one that suits your needs and check it out to make sure it is reputable.
- Breast Cancer Charity Events – Organize or participate in one of the many running or walking marathon events. These events began almost 30 years ago, are held all over the world in communities large and small. If one does not already exist in your community, you could start one.
- Donate Online – One of the easiest ways to raise funds and awareness is to use a button on your webpage or blog that will allow readers to donate directly to a breast cancer charity. You can do this on Facebook and Twitter too!
- Get the Word Out – Set up an informational booth at local festivals and fairs; provide brochures and information about breast cancer prevention and treatment, and accept donations at the same time.
- Raffle Off Creativity – Recruit local authors or artists who will donate customized stories or art to the winners.
- Get Personal – One fundraising method that can be very personal and local: sell T-shirts in the name of a cancer survivor or a cancer victim. In one locale, there are purple T-shirts with the words “Miracle Friday.” The family of a cancer survivor sells them, and they are worn every Friday by her family and friends — Friday was the day of the week that she got the word she was cancer-free. As they are worn, other people ask about them, and they sell even more, especially since she is well-known in her community.
- Since pink is the color most frequently associated with Breast Cancer Awareness, hold a pink-themed party at which guests may donate to the cause. Or organize a day at your workplace, in which workers may pay a small donation for the privilege of wearing all pink on that day.
- Sell pink silicone gel bracelets. These are a popular and relatively inexpensive way to raise funds. Suppliers of these bracelets can be found online. Check them out carefully to find the one which best suits your needs.
- A popular fundraiser is to get a local car dealer to donate a pink car, which can then be raffled off.
- At a mall or near a store, sell pink helium balloons.
- Hold a pink bake sale, with cupcakes, cakes and cookies all decorated in pink.
- Raffle off gift baskets. Donations can be solicited from local businesses, and then arranged in attractive baskets covered with pink cellophane and decorated with pink ribbons.
- Sell pink roses or pink carnations — if you can, get these donated by a local florist to maximize your funds.